Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich (Germany)

Last month, I was searching for something on the internet and stumbled upon this news that Google is organising its 'Developer Day' event at Munich (Germany)/Munchen (Deutschland). Since I haven't attended many events like that and was interested in Google's tech stuff, I filled up the form on Google's site and got an e-invite from Google folks at Munich. Also, I thought I could meet up with a couple of famous or well-known Googler's and discuss things, personally (although I aint bigtime and just a face in the IT-Crowd) on varied topics like Java frameworks, MapReduce/Apache Hadoop, Cloud Computing and the hype around it, AJAX stuff and new Java frameworks like Richfaces, JBoss Seam, Dependency Injection (which is implemented by many, but not understood by all), et al.

The event was scheduled on Tuesday, Sep 23 2008 and the agenda/sessions for that day was known well-ahead and so, I flicked through the Google pages and went through a couple of technologies like 'Google App Engine', 'OpenSocial', 'Geo', 'Visualization API', 'GData', 'Google Web Toolkit (GWT)', 'Guice', et al. I ran a couple of examples and got an idea about how these technologies are useful and what is the strategy behind this, for Google to release those API's.

I planned my trip so that I could also spend some time in Munich and visit 'Oktoberfest', which is well-known all over the world, for being the biggest folk festival, in the world. Indeed, many people consider this 'Oktoberfest', as a binge-drinkin' event, rather than a normal folk festival, with people dressed up in colourful Lederhosen and Dirndl's (typical Bavarian dress'). Also, it offers a couple of other amusement-park stuff like the 'Free-Fall', et al. So, I went on Monday afternoon by the German ICE train (which sped to a max of 301 km/h and took me to Munich in just 1 hour, from Nuremberg/Nurnberg) and spent sometime lookin' around 'Oktoberfest' (not for binge-drinking. I'd no company, anyways. ;-)) and also checked the location of Google's event, the next day. Here's a post from my other blog, about 'Oktoberfest':

Oktoberfest 2008 - Munich, Germany

The next day, I was there in time for the Google's 'Developer Day' event and attended the keynote by Markus Muhlbauer (Google Munich's Engineering Director) and Chris DiBona (Open Source Manager for Google, who previously worked as a editor for 'Slashdot', hosted 'FLOSS weekly' event and also co-founded 'Damage Studios'). Chris DiBona has good presentation skills, which is mixed up with a bit of humour and other facts. Here are some pics:

From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


After the keynote, I spoke a bit to Chris DiBona and immediately rushed up to the next session (App Engine Code Labs). Since I ran those examples already, I didn't spend much time there. So, I went to the other code lab for 'Google Geo' and spent sometime there, just to get an idea . I also spoke to 2 French employees of Google. One Googler said that he's from South France and I'd a good conversation with him, talking about my 'Monte Carlo and French Riviera trip'. Indeed, I was excited to talk about that, as I like that part of France (which has good weather, sophisticated to laid-back and relaxing places, many things to do, et al).

Later, I met 'Markus Muhlbauer' at Google Lounge and talked to him, a bit about Google Munich's R&D centre, its location and what they exactly do over there. I gotta know that Google Munich's office is located at Marienplatz, Munich (which is the centre and one of the best parts of Munich) and at the moment, there are just a couple of employees working there and that the office aint so big and that they are planning to expand. Here are some pics:

From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


After the lunch break, I also attended 'Google Web Kit' (presented by 'Sumit Chandel') and 'Google Gears' (by 'Dion Almaer'). I was particularly interested in 'GWT' as it relates to Java stuff and also explored a bit of it, already. All the presentations were pretty basic (or 'Just Right') as they have to target all the audience. If you have gone through the Google documentation regarding these technologies, attending this event is not a big deal, but the whole experience and meeting bigtime folks, gives you a perspective (if you are a budding and ambitious developer/user). Anyways, its a freebie and if you attend that, you get more presents as freebies. So, its definitely worth it. ;-) Here's a pic from the 'Google Web Kit' session:

From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


I also spent some time listening to 'Ian Fette',who was presenting 'Google Chrome' stuff. There was a nice Q&A session, at the end of this presentation and got to know a couple of things.

At the end of the day, there was a 'Wrap-up' session, in which 'Chris DiBona' presented some cool things on the mobile and talked a bit about 'Android'. After that, I wanted to talk to 'Peter Chanezon' about 'Cloud Computing' and other technologies, but didn't happen, as he was busy. Apart from that, I was particularly interested in talking to 'Dion Almaer', as I know him pretty well through his 'Ajaxian.com' site/blog. I couldn't speak to him at length, but had a small talk and called it a day and headed back home. Here are some more pics:

From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


From Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich


If you need more info regarding the sessions, check the below link (which has youtube videos from those sessions on that day):

Google Developer Day 2008 - Munich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.